Parent and Grandparent Super Visa
Last updated: October 20, 2019
With the volatile and difficult nature of sponsoring parents and grandparents program, Parent and Grandparent Super Visa excels as a great alternative. This multiple-entry visa allows the holder to stay up to two years on each entry to Canada. And it can be issued for up to ten years, depending on the expiry date of your passport. If your parents or grandparents are planning an extended stay, you should seriously consider the Super Visa.
This visa allows the holder to stay up to two years on each entry to Canada.
Eligibility Criteria for The Applicant
The applicant(s) must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the Super Visa:
- be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- have a letter of invitation and support from the Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- have medical insurance in Canada for at least 1 year from the date of entry, with a minimum coverage of $100,000
- pass a medical exam
- apply from outside Canada
- be admissible to Canada
Eligibility Criteria for The Inviter
The inviter must satisfy the following conditions for a Super Visa application to be processed positively:
- Income requirements. Determine the number of people living in the inviter’s household (including the Super Visa applicant(s)) and check it against the following Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) table. The inviter must have a gross annual income equal to or greater than the minimum necessary gross income. A co-signer (the spouse of the inviter) can contribute to this gross annual income. The inviter must provide a valid income document as proof, such as a Notice of Assessment or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year:
|Household Size||Minimum gross income|
|each additional person after 7||$6,723|
A co-signer (the spouse of the inviter) can contribute to this gross annual income.
- Invitation letter. The inviter must promise that they will financially support the Super Visa applicant throughout their stay in Canada. The number of people living in the household and a copy of the inviter’s Canadian citizenship or permanent residence document must also be included in the letter.
If you have not given your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) to Canada before. You must do so during the processing of your Super Visa application. You will receive the biometrics request after you apply.
Super Visa applications are normally processed in 2 to 3 months. The actual processing time will depend on the visa office. You can check the processing times of each Canadian visa office here.